The Centre for Responsible Technology exists to give people agency and influence over the way network technology is rapidly changing our world.
We will champion the design and deployment of digital platforms and technologies that are appropriate, responsible and adhere to core Australian values of fairness, egalitarianism and a commitment to democracy:
- We are independent, collaborative, and research-driven; a bridge between civil society, academics, government, unions, responsible businesses and responsible investors.
- We will advocate for government and technology companies to address the imbalance of power and knowledge between individuals, communities and technology.
- We will work with organisations to be more transparent and honest about the services they provide and the way they collect and use our personal information.
- We will use the tools of connection to keep people informed about technology and give them the agency to control their own digital lives.
In 2021 our core focus areas include:
1) Democratic Digital Platform Reform: Advocating for responsible reform and regulation of online platforms
2) Reimagining the Public Sphere: Developing healthier alternatives to harmful surveillance models and rehabilitating our information ecosystems
3) Workplace Surveillance: Championing worker protection and rights to privacy in the workplace
4) Healthy Digital Child: Pushing for safer online environments for our children
Our earlier programs can be found here.