The first Tech Talk session for 2021 kicks off an explosive start to the year recapping the events that played out over summer including the passing of world-first legislation forcing Google and Facebook to pay for news - the News Media Bargaining Code.
Watch the first Tech Talk for 2021 below:
- The News Media Bargaining Code is not perfect but is a good start in addressing the decline of public interest journalism due to digital platform dominance.
- Critics express that it will have harmful unintended consequences, and ignore the role some media companies provide in spreading disinformation.
- The ACCC Digital Platform Inquiry had many recommendations (of which the Code is only one), and it's important that those recommendations are developed.
- Facebook's decision to block news sites, which ended up including non-news public service profiles was universally panned.
- Our over-reliance on Facebook, whether you're a commercial business, a not-for-profit or an individual was clearly demonstrated.
- This year will present many opportunities to rein in Big Tech and advocate for individual digital rights, including the Online Safety Act update, the Disinformation Code, the Ad-tech inquiry, and the Privacy Act update.